Saturday, February 27, 2010

One Small Square: Winter ground study



Again, we participated in The Handbook of Nature Study Blog Challenge. This week's challenge was to section off a one foot square with some yarn and begin to study what is in that area. My kids chose their section and then were stumped. I told them to choose 5 things they could find in their area. Laura chose a spot in my dead garden...well, to be exact, I have 6 beets still growing.



Audrey choose an interesting spot: There were only a few blades of grass growing there.



Audrey discovered an insect pod in a clump of dirt.



Laura dug up my beets.


Here were the five things we found: A grub, a leaf from a Mexican Oak, a piece of mulch, a piece of rock, a funky beet.

Time to journal. Laura pulls out her watercolors and tries to put her lesson in dry brushing into practice- she liked it!

Audrey recorded her findings.


A rock, a leaf, a bug pod, a dead flower, a button.

If you are wondering where my little munchkin (Timmy) is, he err... needed a bath.




3 comments:

  1. Our winter square wasn't that exciting either but it does slow you down a bit and make you focus really small. I love the reds and greens of the beet. :)

    Thank you for sharing your square and I added it to Mr. Linky...which I had forgotten to put in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are just about ready to go outside and do our square study..we'll have to dig up a bit of snow but we are looking forward to it and see what we can find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the beets and their journaling. Found you on the McLinky. :)

    ReplyDelete